YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR ARRANGEMENTS TO VISIT NEW DESIGNERS. THURSDAY - SATURDAY THIS WEEK FOR FASHION, TEXTILES AND DESIGN CRAFTS.
THURSDAY 7TH JULY - SATURDAY 9TH JULY FOR GRAPHICS, PRODUCT, FURNITURE, INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE, PHOTOGRAPHY, ILLUSTRATION, ANIMATION ETC.
TICKETS ARE £12.50 ON THE DOOR WITH STUDENT iD (this is cheaper than advance purchase). SEE THE NEW DESIGNERS WEBSITE FOR MORE DETAILS:
BTEC 1ST YR EXTENDED DIPLOMA IN ART & DESIGN
DESIGN DIARY SUMMER PROJECT NEW DESIGNERS
This project is part 2 of the work to cover unit 5 and in addition to your first year essay and the review of our art exhibition will cover the criteria required for this. The Design Diary is an ongoing resource that can be added to at a later date and something that will be taken to interview to show you are aware of the history and the context of your specialist area.
Ø From your visit to New Designers pick 4 artists or designers from your chosen specialist area that you feel you are strongly drawn to. At least one of these should be from the ‘One year on’ room which is practitioners who have been out a year already.
Ø Answer the questions 1-9. Present this written work within your design diary. Produce 15 A4 pages showing a coherent analysis of this work. Inventively present this using photographs, postcards and other information Comments should be in as much detail as possible and have the analysis and evaluation of an essay.
Ø Make your own responses to this work within 2 responses to each artist/designer- 8 in all. Spend time on these trying to create these to look as professional as possible. Use manual or digital ways of working to respond.
1. Try to answer the following questions. If you cannot find out the answers to these easily try being creative, try emailing the artist/ institution that represents them or using face book, or following a blog/website for info to discuss etc to gain information on them.
2. What is their work like? How would you describe it? What makes them stand out from other exhibitors for you? What techniques or processes do you think they use and what exactly makes them so successful?
3. Who do you think has influenced them and what is their work like? Have things such as - politics, music, fashion, changes in materials or technology processes had an effect? Can you show influences and compare or contrast these similarilties together?
4. What themes or ideas are in their work ? How do these artists\designers communicate messages or meaning within their work? What logos, slogans, visual imagery or mark-making do they utilise to produce their work?
5. Who are some of the clients they have worked for? What internships do they have planned? Can you document this work and give examples of large and small commissions/ jobs they have covered?
6. Give evidence of quotes, opinions and comments from other people if available . These may be from catalogues, newspaper cuttings, websites, TV programmes, blogs, face book etc. The more variety of information, the more interesting your diary. They may lead you to look at other artists whose work you like. You will probably have to dig around to get this and anticipate this will take time - be persistent.
7. Why have you chosen these artists\designers to analyse? What relevance does their work have on your own interests? Do you use similar techniques etc or do the concepts/ideas they promote appeal to you? Why are you so attracted to this work? Is it that you find the markmaking original, messages in adverts inventive, appreciate the form and structure of a sculpture etc.? Please elaborate as much as possible.
8. What materials, processes and technology have they adopted that have shaped their ideas and given the work a distinctive style.
9. Produce 8 sustained responses to the designers you have looked at (minimum 2 for each artist/designer) by making samples, tryouts, drawings, typography in the style of this work to show your interests. Present this in an appropriate way next to your analysis.